This redesign project had such a short timeframe in which it was to be completed. It provided me with quite the challenge and I challenged myself even more by setting out to complete the project even sooner than the deadline that was set. Making both the owner of the website and myself thrilled with the efficiency of achieving the results. The end result can be seen here Edex
Down here I will show some side by side comparisons of the redesigns.
Here you can see the old and new logo's side by side - I have chosen to highlight the X with green while also giving the rest of the letters more body. It makes the logo more into one piece while still having the distinction of the flashy X.
The first section of every page - I have made the decision to show less information over the actual image.
The menu - I cleaned it up to make it easier to choose the page you want to visit.
Content section - Here I changed the visual hierarchy, so it becomes easier to scan and appears more structured.
Quote section - I cleaned up the spacing and made it easier to read.
Tickets section - I put all the info of a ticket into an element together so it feels more like an actual ticket.
Video content section - actually added the content to the website itself instead of only linking to it. Plus I made custom thumbnails to add the style of the website to it instead of the youtube branding.
Footer - here I cleaned up the spacing and created a better visual hierarchy.